Surprising Statistics on Car Accidents in Alaska


To start, one notable yet disturbing statistic comes from the Alaska Highway Safety Office (AHSO): There are almost 12,500 total car accidents statewide every year, leading to 66 fatalities. More than 4,800 victims suffer injuries in motor vehicle crashes, bringing up another important statistic about the financial implications. Economic losses related to auto collisions exceed $463 billion, including medical costs, property damage, and lost wages. However, these societal costs do not take into account the personal, subjective losses victims experience due to their car accident injuries.

These statistics may surprise you, but they barely scratch the surface when it comes to the other trends and data from traffic crashes. The issues impact all motorists, so a look at additional figures is important for avoiding Alaska car accidents and knowing what to expect if you are involved in one.


Common Causes

 Officers will prepare a police report when responding to the scene of a vehicle accident, and the information taken from these documents reveals a lot about how they happen. In general, auto crashes are the result of driver carelessness, such as:

  • Speeding;
  • Following too closely;
  • Driver inattention, i.e., distracted driving; and,
  • Failure to yield.


Most Alaska Car Accident Cases Settle

Another unexpected statistic involves how auto crash claims are resolved through the legal process. Contrary to popular misconception, just 5 percent of vehicle collision matters go through the trial process; the remaining 95 percent settle by agreement of the parties.


Average Cost of Hospitalization After a Traffic Crash

Financial data indicates that you can expect to pay up to $57,000 for a hospital stay after a car accident, at a daily rate of around $11,700 per day. If you require care in a rehabilitation facility, the expenses are approximately $700-800 per day.


Seatbelt Use 

On a positive note, statistics show that more motorists are buckling up. In 2020, the national rate of seatbelt use was 90.3% according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). By crunching the data, researchers estimate that almost 15,000 lives are saved every year by safety restraints. Still, another 2,550 people may not have died in car accidents if seatbelt usage was at 100%.


Uninsured Motorists in Alaska

Nationwide, almost 13% of motorists do not have any auto insurance coverage. It is cause for concern that Alaska is higher than the US average. More than 16% of drivers you encounter on the road do not have insurance to pay for the losses you sustain if you are hurt.


Discuss Legal Remedies with Our Alaska Car Accident Lawyers

Statistics are useful for understanding auto crash trends, but this information demonstrates how the risks impact all drivers using Alaska roadways. If you were hurt or lost a loved one in a collision, please contact Power & Power Law to learn more about your legal options. We can set up a free consultation at our office in Anchorage, Alaska. After assessing your circumstances, a car accident attorney can explain the legal process for recovering compensation.